View Single Post
Old 10-09-16, 10:56 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Lugged, Dura-Ace Glory

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prologue - '74 Schwinn Paramount P15 - '8X Davidson Impulse - '88 Land Shark Road Shark - '92 Specialized Epic Carbon - '15 Cannondale CAAD10 Disc - '81 Trek 710 - '92? Bushnell Track Bike

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Picked up a 1988 Masi Nuova Strada with a fairly random array of mostly Campagnolo parts up in Bellingham yesterday. In the pouring rain! Long drive there and back that took longer than it should have, especially as I had a friend's wedding to get to. My priorities are as straight as any....

Brakes take a recessed nut, but had '70s standard reach nutted Nuovo Record calipers with red paint fill on the engraved "Campagnolo" and "Brev. Inter." text. Seller said it was from a Bob Jackson, and that the brakes were his favorite. Rubbish performance in the rain with old pads and MA40 rims (to be expected), but pretty and very solid feeling once off the bike (unlike other old single pivots). I don't know if I will sell them just yet, or keep them for another build. NR is valuable, and the red letters are, to my knowledge, a custom deal. Certainly if it was part of a then-new Bob Jackson bike. Something special!

I am in the middle of doing my standard clean/wax/polish procedure (post disassembly) on the bike--paint is in excellent shape, decals are perfect (WHAT?!?). And I get an SLX and SP mix of tubing. With some non-weight-weenie bits, the bike is 25 lbs (25" frame); and with tired brake cables and heavier rims and tires, some of the inputs make for a sluggish/labored experience. The bike is undeniably smooth, so I will be transferring my Campy+carbon bits themed-groupset (currently on my Super Sport) to it to speed her up a good deal. See if we can get below 23 lbs ready-to-ride, and more importantly, unearth fully that vintage Masi spirit...even if it was contract-built.