View Single Post
Old 10-10-16, 02:42 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 1,383 Times in 939 Posts
I don't see major problems with cantis on a winter bike. Yes, wet rim stopping is poorer. Snow and ice stopping is even poorer, but isn't so bad. Braking power when you tires are on the frozen stuff, esp ice is really bad!

Now, I have heard of cants with poor performance. The ancient design Mafacs I put on my Mooney served to give me one finger braking for the first half of the descent of Alba Road above Santa Cruz, CA in a full winter Pacific rainstorm with rivers running across the road. (Half way, my index fingers were getting tired and I went two finger. That road drops 2000' in 4 miles. Many curves. Basically a paved, lower, 1/2 height Mt Washington. From a guy who has ridden down both.) See two it you have cantis patterned after the Mafacs or '80 Shimanos (now on my Mooney) and you should be fine. I think it is the shorter cantis with the arms that reach up that are the poorer performers. I set mine up so the arms are ~horizontal at rest. Also with long bridles.

Ben