Old 10-11-16, 07:53 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2894 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
It is and I was surprised to see it was color matched unlike the pic on their website. I actually hate that and think it looks cheap somehow so I've ordered a black stem. What do you guys think about that? To me, any "real" bike always has a black stem and the only time I'd see a color-matched stem would be on a no-name Wal-Mart bike or something like that. Something about it just looks bad to me, but maybe I'm in the minority.
When I see it on vintage MTBs(where I see it the most...or only, really) I love it. The stem and bars matching is reminiscent of a period in cycling...so its cool to see. Perhaps its cool to see on bikes from that period only though?...that would be understandable.

Either way, its a black stem- you cant go wrong with swapping it.

My earlier question about the height of the bars wasnt meant as criticism, just surprise. Its a relatively new style that I see here and there- a lot of stack height + positive rise stem + bars oriented on the same plane as the stem angle. This is in contrast with bars oriented so the ramps are parallel withe the ground.

On a related note- I love the 2 hole fork. Being able to secure a bottle cage or salsa anything cage really increases versatility.