Old 10-13-16, 03:37 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
From 1997 to 2014 my main commuter was a 1997 Nishiki Blazer which I bought new in 1997. Actually it was my only bike until I acquired a 1983 Nishiki International 12-speed road bike in 2010. In January 2015 I replaced the Blazer as my main commuter with a 2015 Charge Plug (semitouring?), but have kept the Blazer as a studded-tire snow/ice winter commuter, and as a utility and rough road, dirt road bike, and just to have a change of ride for variety. In fact I rode the Blazer in to work today.

What attracted me to the bike was its affordability and appearance of ruggedness which has proven to be true. I had been riding a 1987 Schwinn Cruiser Supreme which was technically a "cruiser" style bike, but in essence was a 6-speed mountain bike. I initially customized the Blazer to fit what I thought were my riding style and needs at the time. I added wider straight bars and threw them forward for a less upright posture. I added the largest chain ring that would fit upfront for higher gearing for a better cruising speed (I'm a masher). I added a rack and fenders and a padded seat with springs.

It was, and still is robust, comfortable, stable and fast. It just doesn't break...well, until last year when a small metal piece in the left shifter snapped. And now that I think of it the original rear wheel tacoed in 1999 after I ascended a curb at speed; which only a suspension bike or fat bike could be realistically expected to survive.

Over the years I have added Wald folding baskets for greater utility, plus longer crank arms which help with the slow cadence mashing that is my pedaling. And to appease my aging hands' need for more positions, I first added bar ends (inboard) and then an aero bar. I have considered swapping out the straight bar for drop bars, but the conversion would cost more than the bike is worth to me (or anyone) as it is no longer my main commuter.

All in all, despite how crude it is compared to my other two, I still love this bike. And as far as the 36-lb fully-loaded weight, it is still lighter than the 48-lb monstrosity it replaced, whose mass and lack of adequate brakes still haunts my dreams 20-years later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0828150759.jpg (99.1 KB, 223 views)