Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Why does a wheel taco + need new rim

My wife has a rather interesting short person's bike. MTB frame, MTB crankset, road bars, STI shifters, MTB wheels, road tires. It got knocked of its wall mounts, fell, and the rear wheel tacoed, of all the crazy things. The rear wheel is about 15 years old, never had a problem. Shimano RSX hub, 36H Mavic 221 rim, straight 2.0 spokes. I backed off the nipples 2 turns and saw that the wheel had tacoed so bad that the rim is all bent. In all my decades of riding, I've never had a wheel taco. I pulled it back to sort of reasonable, but it has a lot of loose spokes, wobble and runout.

2 questions:
1) Why do wheels taco?
2) What rim can I replace it with? Rim brakes, 36H, 17mm inside width, 22mm outside. A little wider would be OK, but not much. I've looked around but haven't seen anything except used vintage or expensive NOS on ebay. With stuff like this I don't enjoy hanging around for a week trying to snag something. I don't want to buy a new wheel because this older machine is 7 speed so that's probably an ever worse PITA.

Thanks!