Old 10-19-16, 08:34 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by College3.0
It's you! I like this dude!
Well of course it's me. You were expecting maybe Mary, Queen of Scots?

Originally Posted by College3.0
Do you ever think about going back to the library? I kind of miss it. But it'd need to be full time, I can't work two jobs anymore (getting older?).
Yes and no.

I need full time and like most libraries, in ours, only management is full time. It's sort of like fast food in that regard. Only without the silly hats.

I miss pulling the Books by Bike trailer and doing outreaches. I miss free holds and getting new releases early (Waiting for the new Preston & Child book, and have my calendar marked for the next several Tuesdays to try to beat the great unwashed to my favorite authors.)

I don't miss being called ******* (<--See: Polly want a) or racist, nor do I miss cleaning up the blood from knife fights or ducking behind the circ desk due to gunfire. And I don't miss giving up lunch because we're shorthanded. I certainly did not miss Summer Reading, where we became the de facto daycare for up to 500 neighborhood kids.

Meanwhile, at the new job (still with the city though) after six weeks I was moved to full-time. I'm getting benefits! I work in a quiet office with 100 feet of floor-to-ceiling windows facing south. I actually get to take my full hour for lunch, and get outside for a half-hour walk around the river and the falls every day. I get to work on bike advocacy both within my department (Parking Bureau) and together with other departments.

I'm home just before five, so I can do evening group rides again. I've gone out with the club and with other city employees.

Even though I deal with some people who are really angry, nobody has ever raised their voice to me or been rude. I still get my usual level of positive customer emails to my boss and the associated attaboys. (Which is sort of new for my current department. That never happened before.)

It's not without excitement though. Last week we had a jumper up on the top deck. Trapped in the office in case he chose that very second to fall on our heads. Thankfully they talked him down and I didn't have to don haz-mat gear to clean up blood again.

After I retire (and bike tour Japan) I may take a job as a page or something, but not in da 'hood, and certainly not in the 'burbs either. Something in between.

Last edited by tsl; 10-19-16 at 08:46 PM.