Old 10-21-16, 12:51 AM
mtseymour

Bikes: 2022 Calfee Tetra, 2023 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad1
In your your case The biggest thing I'd be worried about is running a clincher tires on a tubeless rim. I've talked with Hed & Enve about this subject with both company's saying on a single bike you can get away using a normal clincher, but on a tandem your just looking for trouble with the tire rolling off. Tubeless tires bead is totally different, which allows the bead to lock down on the tubeless rim. I've been using on our tandem Hed Belgium + tubeless rim & Schwable Pro 1 tubeless tires, with Stans race sealant no problems, I will never go back to a tube again. The ride is so much nicer. I'd say with the tire pressure you lost you probably dis-lodged the bead for a second, Danger
It's a really bad idea to use regular clincher tire on a tubeless road setup, esp on a tandem. Tubeless clincher tires have a no-stretch carbon beads that will stay securely on the UST rims at high pressure (70-110 psi). The fit is airtight so sealant is optional (but recommended).

On a mtn bike, it's not unusual to use regular tires in a tubeless setup with non-UST rims (known as "going ghetto"). The tire pressure is low enough (25-40 psi) that there is little risk the tire will burp or roll off. However, it's still better to use tubeless mtn tires with UST rims.

I recommend 28mm tubeless road tires like Hutchinson Secteur and Schwalbe One. Don't bother with 25mm tubeless tires for road tandems.