View Single Post
Old 10-21-16, 10:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is actually a fairly simple DIY. You need a 1" OD tube with a 7/8" (22.2) ID. if you think a moment the source of such a piece should become obvious.

It's exactly the same thing as a standard 1" fork steerer tube. You might find a piece long enough by chopping it off a crashed fork.

You'll need a piece about 3-5" long, depending on how deep the stem will go.

Once you have the raw material, you can approach the job a few ways. You can bond or sweat the tube into your fork, though I probably wouldn't. Instead, I'd make a double split about half way up, align it with the wedge of your stem, so it will spread th tube as it's drawn up. Press the assembly into the fork keeping the alignment right, then tighten normally.

Keep in mind that the orientation of the liner is critical to effective wedging, so you will have to confirm it whenever you move the stem. You might paint or file a reverence mark between the steerer and liner to make checking easier in the future.

Good luck.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-21-16 at 10:28 PM.