View Single Post
Old 10-30-16, 10:08 PM
dabigboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I had to hit Google to find out what a "plus" bike is. The added traction and stability might be good for me, as I still lack confidence to go fast on the trail.

My current ride is a 2012 Raleigh Talus 3. I keep hearing that it's a "solid entry-level bike", which I thought would be just the thing at my skill level (total newbie), but I feel like I'm already hitting its limitations. I know I'm far better off to spend money on a good hardtail vs a cheap FS. The thing about the Redline I rode is, of course, that it is NOT a cheap FS. Actually my friend is trying to sell the Redline (he has a more downhill-oriented ride that he uses most of the time now). If I weren't working on buying a new place at the moment, I'd be very tempted to take it off his hands.

Here's what really bothers me about the hardtail: the trails at Draper in OKC (the only real trails I've ridden so far) have some moderately rough rocky descents. They are really fun, and a good challenge for a newbie like myself, but my bike feels (and sounds) like it's going to beat itself to pieces. The Redline just rolled right through it gracefully. If I'm already beating up my hardtail and breaking rear axles at this level, how is it going to handle something more challenging?

But you're totally right, I need to try some more bikes. Perhaps just a BETTER hardtail would be appropriate. Probably one big positive on the Redline is that it's the best fitting bike I've ridden so far.....I'm 6'1", my friend is even taller than me, so the Redline is a 29'er with an XL frame. I probably need to try some more big-frame bikes before I upgrade.

Matt