View Single Post
Old 10-31-16, 08:18 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: I finally have all the bikes I need.

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Craptacular8 View Post
Very nice picture, with an attractive bike to boot. I love that style of bike. I keep thinking that my commuter would look a lot classier if I switched it over to that style handle bar over the straight riser bar that it currently has, but know that the few other more upright bikes I've test ridden have felt like more work pedaling. It isn't the wind resistance, I feel it in my quads? Maybe I've needed the seat jacked up quite a bit more during those rides, but that's the way it sort of feels, like I'm riding a bike with the seat a little too low, where you're not feeling it in your knees, but you feel it across the tops of your thighs?
Well, here's another one of my roadster conversions of a bike-boom 12-speed:

This is now a 3-speed Sturmey Archer roadster in the British tradition, with Japanese styling cues like the bamboo fenders. I've gone to a V.O. Milan handlebar and Ergon GC1 cork grips for a bit more athletic riding position. It wasn't my quads so much as my arse that was bothering me on this bike. The riding position had been bolt upright with a North Roads style handlebar, and it didn't work very well on this frame for long periods in the saddle.

Here it is from another angle:

I've put 325 miles on it this month with this setup, and have been very happy with it. The Milan handlebar has a slight rise and a slight sweep, so you lean forward a bit more to balance your weight better, but not so far as to limit your upward visibility. The Ergon GC1 grips have that extended flat section that spreads the load out on your hands and keep your wrists from kinking. They are very supportive and comfortable.