View Single Post
Old 11-01-16, 08:50 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 613 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4549 Post(s)
Liked 2,700 Times in 1,700 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevindale View Post
As always, thank you, T-Mar! I thought the 59 may be for the frame. I've measured the seat tube at 58.4 cm c-c, and 59.5 c-t, so that would fit.

Did Tommasini call some frames 'Prestige' even before they started putting the 'Prestige' decal on the top tube? Was 'Racing' indeed a distinct frame model designation?
I think I remember this bicycle now. It was pre-1984 based on the decals, but still had a front derailleur hanger?

Since that time, I've done some more digging and did come up with an undated piece of literature that specifically mentions Tretubi, Racing, Prestige, SPX and CX frames. I believe the literature is from 1984, based on the decals and model names. SLX came out in 1984 and it's worth noting that the both SL and SLX model bear the Prestige name, while the CX frame bears Super Prestige. This may be due to confusion over getting the new SLX model ready for the catalog.

Both the Racing and Prestige frames appear to have SL decals and the only difference I noticed was that the Prestige has a front derailleur hanger while the Racing does not. This only adds to the confusion, as it seems to contradict what I remember of your frame. Regardless, it does confirm Racing as a legitimate Tommasini model name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Tommasini ad 1984.jpg (94.7 KB, 37 views)