Old 11-02-16, 10:35 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
I've been looking through and trying to find out what's best for keeping your head, face, neck and ears warm in winter.

The obvious choice on the surface would seem to be a balaclava although they seem a bit all or nothing (maybe when it's that cold you need the all anyway) and on searching for information there were quite a few posts of people saying they're too much and get very stuffy and your glasses fog up pretty quick

Any recommendations much appreciated!!!!
I wear a woolen skullcap, balaclava, and when below about 25
F, an additional face mask. I also wear prescription eyeglasses and have posted frequently about the problem of fogging.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I perennially post about mywinter eyewear for my 14 mile year-round commute, from about 35° down to as lowas 0°. I must wear my prescription eyeglasses, and fogging is one of the worst dangers of winter riding. I am entirely satisfied with my system:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…for eye protection is a pair of simple, wide,plastic industrial goggles that I suspend from my cycling cap using Velcro around the nosepiece. The goggles sit very comfortably on my face securely in place even though my ears are covered. The earpieces then provide a secure mount for my eyeglass-mounted Take-a-Look mirror.

The goggles allow sufficient room for my prescription eyeglasses, and are widely ventilated to carry away the exhaled moisture preventing fogging.
I realize now that my goggles and face mask are actually an integrated system of heating and ventilation that keeps my face warm and my vision unencumbered by fogging. The windscreen of the goggles is so effective in keeping my eyes warm that my eyelids actually perspired because my central core body was so warm, and my eyes never got cold, even on those fast windswept downhill runs…

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Front view with face mask.jpg (98.8 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg
Side view with face mask.jpg (97.0 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-02-16 at 01:07 PM.