Old 11-06-16, 09:50 PM
WolfRyder

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by combover
most sought after would have to be the Cook Bros 26" 3-Bar Cruiser....only the elite collectors can now afford them ...unless you get lucky....Skyway also built a 24" T/A Cruiser that was ONLY built for their factory team riders....like 5 or six or something like that. there were only 2 known left to exist ...that is until I found the third just north of San Francisco at a flea market about 12 years ago ...like a dumbass, I re-homed it....the new one is cool but a definate reproduction, most dont know about that bit of bmx history....I think the above mentioned earlier reply about the mid-school 24"Elf Traction Plate will be a highly desirable bike in the future ....and maybe the Specialized Hemi.....the ORIGINAL 74-75 Champion built by Doug Schwarma is Pretty coveted too ...and for good reason....they were incredible works of art that were only built for about a year or so....and then re-introduced by Lynn Kastan of Redline a few years later....The GJS Freestyler is another extremely rare bike with Jeff welding those himself I read somewhere....I should just stop because the list of rare EARLY BMX goes on and on....and I love that stuff ! some of my best (and worst) memories were made on a Stingray with Motomags, a Scrambler, a Jag, a Mongoose, a PK Ripper a Moto-one, a Race Inc, a Quadangle, a Red Line , I was there and rode them all, the hype and excitement back in the day for a BMX'er was incredible ! and then came mountainbikes man and we didnt have to push our bikes up the firetrails anymore ! ....thats a whole nother story .... but if you liked bmx and were there or even if you werent there...I HIGHLY suggest you see the movie "Joe Kid on a Stingray, The History of BMX" ...and be sure to check out the included extra features like the Yamaha Gold Cup of 1974 with some big kid named Stu Thomsen winning the Championships...... on a STINGRAY !
Yeah I had one of the original Champions, mid-70's sounds about right. Mine wasn't made by Redline, remember I got it Astrubula equipped and also fork with Motomags. Before I could build it up nice with better parts, I lost it a long time ago to an older kid in my neighborhood in crap trade where I got a 1st gen Redline Proline...the ones that cracked easy. Funny thing about 10 years later I think I came back upon my former Champion frame at a local Berkeley bike store- Square wheel, long now defunct. I passed on it because I just wasn't into BMX stuff anymore. Now I appreciate it a little more.