View Single Post
Old 11-07-16, 09:01 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
In the Non-flat Tires Are Faster vein...

I rode to work only once last week, too much stuff to do. I've been riding the Bianchi with the dynamo hub and LED lights. It wears Gatorskin tires which up to now have been quite robust. So last night I went to top off the tires in preparation for today's commute and lo! the rear was soft. Hmmm, pulled the tire and found not one but two tiny metal wires protruding through the casing into the tube space. I also noticed that the tread had become quite worn, the second rear tire I've worn out on that bike. When I put the tube under water I found just one tiny tiny leak where the smaller of the two wires had been. Unfortunately it was near the molding bead so I wasn't sure a patch would seal well. Nevertheless I threw a patch on it, pumped it up, and set it aside for this morning. You can guess what I found this morning.

That bike has had Gatorskins since I gave it those wheels. Those wheels wore Gatorskins when I bought them from another BF member, and they look good on the black bike. Now I'm considering using Veloflex instead. If I have to fix flats I might as well be fixing them on nicer tires.