Old 11-08-16, 09:00 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Except in unusual circumstances, it is rude, inconsiderate and possibly dangerous to take the entire lane. It is also illegal, at least in my state (NC), where the law says that bikes should ride as far to the right as practicable. Where I make an exception is on streets with cars parked along the road and I'm concerned about getting doored, or cases where I've got a left turn coming up, or sometimes on very windy streets and low traffic speeds. However, I will often take the lane when crossing intersections to prevent drivers from right-hooking me.

I do not hug the right side of the road, and that is also dangerous because it puts you more at risk for hitting potholes, gravel and other debris. It also encourages drivers to squeeze by you closely without allowing a safe separation distance. Generally, I ride about 3-4' from the right edge of the road. However, if there is a wide shoulder with a fog line, I will ride on the shoulder.
Yikes. Practically speaking, the right tire track is the same as taking the whole lane. Where I pedal ( MA) bikes are vehicles and part of traffic. And everyone needs to share the road. Some places have a far right rule, some have a mandatory must use bike path rule, not here. What's rude is thinking that cars have more right to the road than other users. I sometimes use the whole lane as needed. Prevents getting squeezed out. YRMV.