Old 11-08-16, 03:13 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Jixr View Post
So I love strava, its fun to me to record and keep track of my goals and stuff.

But my phone's built in GPS is horrible, to the point where its distance tracking is off by miles, it teleports me around, and is generally a mess.

Instead of buying a new $600+ phone, I was thinking of maybe buying a bike computer.

LBS has both the garmin 520 and 500 ( with HR, speed/cadence sensors ) for good prices, but i'm really not sure if they are worth the cost.

Live speed tracking, accurate distances, time, and stuff like that sounds awesome, but the price points for a computer are at the level where its costly enough that I'm a bit heasitant if the trade off of features is worth over what my phone can provide.
I found my Garmin 810 to be off by about .6 of a mile in 100, and that was before I got a dedicated speed sensor. It was accurate enough on road rides for me to remove all my ancient regular bike computers. I used the 810 with a speed sensor on a mt. bike ride yesterday, the track is dead on accurate, near as I can tell.

If you don't need turn-by-turn directions, the 520 is a nice unit and is $265 on Amazon right now.