Thread: Degreasers
View Single Post
Old 11-10-16, 07:38 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Using the organic solvents either requires disassembly of the greasy bits (chain/CW) so they can be sloshed around
in a pool of solvent (usually mineral spirits), or working outdoors in the case of topically applied such as Clean Streak
which is a mixture of ethanol/pentanol and mineral spirits with propane as a propellant. Clean Streak is a bit hazardous for indoor use if any appliance with open flame or sparking is near by because of the organic vapors.
I used to use the closed jar/solvent shake method of chain cleaning but the advent of water based solvents (I prefer
simple green, which is basically a long chain alcohol) and chain cleaners like Park have made in situ cleaning much
easier with most of the debris being caught in newspapers under the bike. A thorough cleaning of the triple CW, RD jockey wheels and cassette does mandate disassembly but mostly I do this by scraping off the larger clumps of grease/dirt with a thin piece of metal in situ and not going further.

Clean Streak could be approximated with 90% ethanol and mineral spirits in equal parts with perhaps 10% gasoline
added. The Clean Streak spray with applicator is an added benefit over DIY version, for a considerable increase in
cost.