View Single Post
Old 11-12-16, 06:23 AM
msbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP here. Thanks for your comments Mom.

My wife is really liking the idea of an ebike. At 65 she doesn't have the jam to get up the big hills without difficulty, but still likes to ride. As far as battery range, the specs for bosch and yamaha mid-drives with 400 watt batteries are in the 40 to 60 mile range, depending primarily on degree of pedal assist used and then on weight, incline, wind, road surface, etc. Most "real world" comments on mileage seem to indicate the spec ranges are pretty accurate, but some people seem more skeptical. I guess we'll just have to find out.

Our idea is to test ride as many ebikes as possible before purchasing. That is a bit challenging since we have no ebike dealers in our area, but we have a couple of trips planned and hope to work in some test rides before the end of the year.

Thanks for the maintenance comments. My main concern is having a problem with the motor and having to ship the bike off for repairs since we won't have a local dealer. We do have a couple of trek dealers and a giant dealer in town, even though they are not currently carrying ebikes. My guess is that if they can't fix an issue, they could get a trek or giant rep to help them. So that may factor into the decision process.