Old 11-14-16, 05:58 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by maverickfhs
Would the serial number help? I had it posted in one of the pict above.
It wouldn't help me. Somebody here might be able to tell you something from it.

You are a magician, it seems like 13.5" inches frame.
I'd have gotten there quicker if I had read the "26" in your title. I saw the marking in the picture but couldn't make out what it said.

Call me a 'cheap bastard' but I would like to tune up everything for 'Free'. I have plenty of grease, dry lubricants( for motorcycle chains), cleaners, degreasers, kerosene oil etc...

I have many tools for car/motorcycles and all. Do I need anything special for this bike to grease hub/bottom bracket and headset bearing?
Cheap/free is what I'd be going for on a bike like this. You'll need cone wrenches for the hubs, some combination of 13, 15 and 17 mm...maybe two of one of those sizes. I don't know off hand which size you need. The key thing is that a standard wrench is too thick to do the job. You could improvise something if you are good with metal working and don't want to obtain the right tool, but the right tool makes it much easier. The headset requires another thin wrench, this one 30 or 32 mm, but it doesn't need to be as thin and sometimes you can get by without it (though you're likely to leave the locknut loose if you do it that way). The bottom bracket gets really tricky because you need one specialized tool to remove the crank arms and another one to open up the bottom bracket.

If you don't want to buy the right tools for this job and you can't do the work at a co-op, I'd recommend just hoping it's OK the way it is. The cone wrenches run about $9 each and you might need as many as three. The headset wrench is about $15. The crank puller sells for about $15, and the bottom bracket tool might be around $20.

I can use these tires, till they are bald or need replacement. Then will look into tires, but if they are super cheap I can bite the bullet now too?
Semi-slick tires will make the bike much more enjoyable to ride on pavement, but they will limit its off-road use. The cheapest ones sell for around $15 each. The ones I'd want for regular use are around $30 each.