Old 11-15-16, 06:23 AM
TheCharm

Bikes: 2015 Surly Disc Trucker & 2011 Trek 7.3fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Haliwa87 View Post
Been reading these forums for a couple years now for tips and advice, finally decided to sign up and do it proper. I sold my vehicle recently and have been cycle commuting, am nervous about the winter but also very excited. Everyone is so helpful here and understanding, can't wait to get to know everybody! ☺️
Last winter was my first riding through it. I made a commitment to myself that I'd ride as long as the temp was 35F and above. Turned out that wasn't so bad, and the only thing that kept me from commuting was snow or ice or rain if the temp was below about 35F or so -- that's just miserable.

I think the coldest morning we had might have been around 20F. The key is layers (I like merino wool) and keep your extremities protected -- gloves and balaclava. Looks like you might be in Canada, so you may have a bit more of a challenge in terms of low temps.

I always found it was my mind that wanted to quit before my body wanted to. The body just wants to keep moving to generate body heat and keep warm. It's the mind you have to challenge.