Old 12-13-05, 12:26 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
It is already obvious that the driveway IS clear. Which do you think would be more apparant to a cyclist if it were to become "unclear" and require change in position: the residential driveway or the public 50mph road behind the cyclist?
Is it clear that one one approaching from the opposite direction around that blind corner isn't about to turn left across your path into the driveway?

Is it clear that no one approaching from behind isn't about to right cross you as they turn into their driveway?

Sure, odds are it isn't going to happen. Perhaps only 1 in 10,000 (or whatever) cars is going to do that. Of course, it's similar odds at the thousands of driveways our paths intersect per year...

You do the math. I wonder if there is any correlation between this math and the relatively high frequency of left and right cross bike-car collisions? Hmm...

I would be in the lane in my default centerish primary riding position unless there was someone approaching from behind who obviously was not turning into the driveway, in which case I would temporarily move aside to let them pass. While riding in the shoulder makes me more prone to a left cross, this is not applicable while I'm being passed by same direction traffic because they provide good cover. Oncoming traffic is extremely unlikely to turn left into that driveway while there is traffic in the lane (whether it's me in the lane, or cars in the lane) that they need to cross to get to the driveway.