View Single Post
Old 11-19-16, 03:56 PM
FlatFender

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottom Bracket Squeak/Creak

So my wife bought this road bike 3-4 months ago. I think it was in August. It's a Fuji Finest, mostly 105 components, Oval crank.

Soon after getting it, she started having this weird creaking noise while riding. Took it back to the shop she bought it from and they removed the crank, smeared some grease around it, and reinstalled. The mechanic said that sometimes this happens, bearings can get dry while they're being shipped, etc.

Noise came back.

Then the mechanic put a wavy washer on it, said that it would definitely take care of it.

Noise came back.

Then a different mechanic at the same place noticed some play in a pedal bearing and said that must be it. We replaced the pedals with new Shimano pedals.

Noise came back.

Just to rule out the new pedals being bad, I took the known good pedals off my mountain bike, and put them on her bike.

Noise came back again (that's with 3 different sets of pedals, so I think I can rule them out now)

The last time the noise started was after we had been riding about 20 miles, it just started happening for no apparent reason, and got progressively worse until we got home. It did the exact same thing this morning after about 20 miles of our 30 mile ride.

Thankfully, today I was able to get video of the issue. Anyone ever heard anything like this?
Any ideas?

I'm kind of thinking about just taking it to a different bike shop, and having a mechanic just do whatever they think they need to do to fix it, because the worst part of this is that it's sapping my wife's motivation to ride, and that really sucks.

Any thoughts? Here's the video:

Last edited by FlatFender; 11-19-16 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Spelling