View Single Post
Old 11-21-16, 10:57 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3428 Post(s)
Liked 1,443 Times in 1,124 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
What brand of batteries are you using? Mine takes two AA batteries and usually only change them once during a 3 month tour. I run them ~8 hours a day. Duracell.
I am not sure if my taillights are half watt or one watt, but in flash mode they take less power than that. My taillights use AAA batteries. Yet they still are bright enough that it would be impossible to get three months out of them. Sometimes I used Kodak NiMH and sometimes Eneloop NiMH. Since I use rechargeables, I think they only have about half the life of non-rechargeables.

The Planet Bike Superflash is a popular light, that is half watt and says that it will get up to 100 hours. So, that is probably 50 hours on NiMH batteries.
SuperFlash

Thus, my week of use is not too far out of line if I am running a taillight for 6 to 8 hours a day.

You mentioned you use AA batteries. I think AA batteries have roughly two to two and a half times as much power as AAA batteries. I used to use a VistaLight that used AA batteries. They lasted a long time, but that light was not as bright as the newer lights I now use. I still have a VistaLight on one bike, but it is so dim compared to the others that I only use it at night as a second light.