Old 11-22-16, 08:12 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live in the TX hill country (1000' higher than Dallas - ha).
To get to my house at the end of every ride is a 400' climb with up to 14% grade (that grade shows in 4 ridges on the climb).
I run both a cyclotouriste triple and a wide compact double with granny rings (two bikes). This is when I mostly use them - coming home at the end of a long ride and facing this climb.

Over the usable chainline, the granny rings give me 50" down to 23" or 24" in narrow steps. The 24" gear is low enough to climb 18% grades - and I know a couple of them in the hill country (Climbing to Old Tunnel WMA from Waring).

Making the approach for the final climb, I'll go to the granny ring and find the 50" gear. I spin-climb the hill, and the narrow gear steps let me shift down and up as the grade waxes and wanes. I can always make the 14% grades in 32" or 28" gear, but it's still nice to have the 24" gear in reserve, in case I'm really tired - or even hauling a load on the bike from the corner store (they call them ice houses here, it's a TX thing).

Here's the gear analysis for the wide compact double

Last edited by bulldog1935; 11-22-16 at 08:19 AM.