Old 11-22-16, 10:50 PM
nuclear_biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying first road bike: Help me bikeforums.net, you're my only hope

In 2015, I rebuilt a Trek 720 ('91) into a commuter/fitness bike. I'm now looking to get into longer rides and casual endurance racing so I'm looking to buy my first roadbike. The 720 is okay for short rides but frankly I don't find the geometry super comfy past maybe 1 hour. So now I'm looking at buying my first roadbike. Looking to spend $2k or less (or a few hundred over if justified).

I have a few friends with BD bikes, and I was pretty surprised to see they offered a Di2 bike for only $2000, the Motobecane Le Champion CF Di2. I didn't a bit of research online and it seems to get mostly positive reviews but not a whole lot of info on how it holds up and not a whole lot of reviews in general (that I saw). I had a chance to ride a (way out of my price range) Di2 bike and my god was I sold (I can't remember if it was Dura-Ace or Ultegra Di2). I have done some research into BD and know about all the potential downsides (no LBS support, no fitting, some assembly required, not amazing warranty, etc) so I'm not really interested in that.

But then I got to thinking to myself: $2k is a lot to spend on a bike I can't find a lot of info on, and while Di2 would be great, would my money be better spent on a bike with a better frame and normal Ultegra mech? I'm mostly nervous about buying a CF bike without a lot of info on how it holds up.

TL;DR: I'm looking for anybody with info on the Motobecane Le Champion CF (specifically with regards to how the frame holds up) and with BD CF bikes. Additionally looking for recommendations on whether this is a good way to go or if I should research other bikes in the $1k-$2k range.