Bike Forums - View Single Post - Buying first road bike: Help me bikeforums.net, you're my only hope
Old 11-23-16, 03:28 PM
nuclear_biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel View Post
@nuclear_biker, I wouldn't get stuck on top line components like Di2.
Getting caught up in the minutiae of hobbies is half the fun! After riding lower end mountain bike mech, I really don't think I want to settle for less than Ultegra. I'm not looking to have to upgrade again a few years down the road.

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
The good thing about BD is you usually get a full group as named, not just the derailleurs and levers.
This pisses me off big time. I hate looking at all the bikes and they have crappy Bontrager cranks on them. I'm sure they are fine but it really fires up my OCD.

So, one other thing I've considered is building up a bike. I put a bunch of the components into a cart at competitive cyclist (just picked a store that had them in stock, maybe you can do better by shopping around) and it came to $1k just for the Di2 setup and transmission etc. I really don't think you can get a frame, fork, and wheelset and still come close to the budget on that BD bike.

So at this point, nobody has really been able to shake my belief in the frame on this bike, esp the frame. So at this point I think I'll spring for it. BD has a 30 day period so worst case I pay the school of hard knock fee to ship it back.