View Single Post
Old 11-27-16, 06:45 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle
I would not ever make hostile remarks. But I still remember the time, several decades ago, when I was going by car to my job as a nurse. It was barely light, as I needed to be at work at 7AM. There was a patch of thin ice, and I did not see it, and patches like that are unusual here. Nevertheless, I was driving slowly. When I hit the patch I skidded halfway through the intersection for several seconds before I was able to stop. It was very scary. Nothing happened, no damage. But between the skid and the stop, there was a brief time (it felt a lot longer) where I could not have done much if something was in my way.
I no longer have a vehicle but I identify with drivers who care about the safety of others. That is not to take the choice of driving or riding away, it is just an understanding of drivers who want to be careful.
When winter cycling I particularly emphazise wearing a rearview mirror because of that added danger of cars skidding, both behind and oncoming, and usually on narrowed roadways.

BTW, my wife is a nurse, and she tended me well during my three month convalescence from my cycling accident. Our relationship was early on very bicycle-centered, including a cross-country cycling honeymoon, so she does not give me a hard time about continuing cycling.

I kid her that's because we have one family car, and it's hers (and our son's) since I cycle commute and do errands. When I do ride in nasty weather though she does chide me, "You just want to ride today so you can write about it on BikeForums."