View Single Post
Old 12-13-05, 08:29 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Yes, weight lifters hate the BMI.

Your doc is way out of line, and the muscle component of the BMI is becoming increasingly recognized in the literature.

We should just use bodyfat% - much more meaningful.
Hey Fox, you believe that the heart doesn't have to support muscle even more than fat? Remember that muscle weighs twice as much as fat per volume and has a lot more extensive capillary systems.

We won't use body fat percentage because it is very difficult to get an accurate reading and it changes very rapidly. During a couple of weeks off the bike your body fat percentage can change several percentage points. Over a winter 20%.

I've know people who were frighteningly fat that were VERY healthy. One guy was the chief adjuster for one of the world's largest insurance companies and he weighed over 300 lbs and he would race sailboats with me at almost 70 years old. He moved a little slower than me but he was just as sure.

He moved out of the area some 10 years ago but my bet is that he's still alive and doing well in the wine country.