View Single Post
Old 11-29-16, 06:23 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
In talking with various people about children's sports, the issue has come up that in order to have team competitions between different teams/clubs in different parts of the city, motorized transport is practically inevitable. For this reason, I think it would be better to have sports that organize competition among children who can bike/walk to the field/court instead of having home/visitor team competitions. It's strange how you don't realize how driving-dependent a certain cultural activity is until you really think about doing it CF. Then, when you come up with alternatives to make it easier to combine with CF living, you find how engrained it is for parents to want their children to participate in such activities and how this forms yet another barrier for people to consider LCF or make efforts to include LCF people beyond giving them rides to driving-dependent activity locations.
Problem is how our "cities" are set up with lack of viable mass transit. In my corner of suburban hell, they used to have neighborhood rec centers. They did away with a lot of those and built a huge complex out in the middle of nowhere... with no bus service (not there was much to start with). It is off of a extremely busy 7 lane road, with no sidewalks or bike paths, to the only option is driving.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon