TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by scheibo
10W is pretty huge, congrats! Anything in particular you would attribute the improvement to?
Yeah, thanks, from a w/kg perspective and raw watts perspective I'm right where I wanted to be in the spring actually, so I'm upping the goal another 10-20w since I seem to respond really well to high volume endurance work. The VI was 1.0 across the whole thing as well so I could probably have squeezed a bit more out of it? I was in uncharted territory and didn't really know what to do with myself when my legs weren't fading despite overshooting my goal by so much.

The improvement is basically due to my vo2 power being up like 6-7% this year via a lot of hard work and a lot of learning the ropes in the 1/2 races. I guess higher vo2 power raises your theoretical FTP ceiling a similar amount, so it was just a question of actually doing some focused FTP work, which I did over the past month as prep for base, the idea being higher FTP = higher z2 watts = you can burn more kj. At the beginning of the block (4 weeks ago?) my 20min was 12w lower than it is now. In terms of raw % over my previous PB FTP I am up about 2.5%, so I would guess I can probably snag another 10-15W relatively easily. ...not that the work will be easy to do, but I mean that by simply doing the work the watts will come around pretty quickly.