J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Could be a 'factory 2nd' especially given the price. Order from the UK next time.
Happens all the time. Corporations are unscrupulous and will push the envelope as hard as they can until they get caught. I used to work for a major lighting manufacturer, of which will remain nameless so they don't come after me. We made automotive headlamps at this plant. They had major contracts with Ford, Honda, and Toyota. EVERY bulb got checked via several different pieces of testing equipment.

The company goal was ONE bad bulb per MILLION bulbs sent out, this meaning that when the shipment got to the auto manufacturer, THEY inspected each one, and we got the feedback from them that they had a bad bulb. Seemed anal to me, and still does. However all this being said, the so-called "bad" bulbs that failed testing at the plant were categorized and either scrapped because they didn't work, or if they only failed certain parameters, then they were sold off at hugely discounted prices to Kmart and Walmart and the like.

So I'm guessing that it may not be such a stretch to imagine tire seconds, much like shoe and clothing seconds, do exist.