View Single Post
Old 12-02-16, 02:26 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
bike shoes

Like the OP I am very interested in NOT spending any more on cycling shoes than I have to. Being in the 5-10 mile a ride fan club I am not training for the Olympics like so many folks seem to be. I was riding in my cheap Shoe Fair Velcro tab walking shoes for some time till I noticed that my old MKS pedals were cutting into the sole of my shoes. That is when I started wearing my old Clarks walking shoes with all leather uppers and very stiff replacement half soles on my rides.

I ride with toe clips and my old shoes sometimes hung up on the straps causing me a couple falls. The leather Clarks by contrast have never got caught on the straps. The stiff half sole does wonders for my foot comfort while pedaling.

I think with a little effort and ingenuity you could get yourself a decent pair of bike shoes for fairly small money . Go to goodwill and find a pair of your size dress shoes and take them to a cobbler and have a very stiff sole glued on.