View Single Post
Old 12-03-16, 09:24 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I would not haul milk at 95 degrees for two days but we all have our tolerances.

Your hamburger brings up a related idea I consider though. It's not just the cooking of food thats the problem but also the clean up.

I live, hike and tour in bear country all the time and have become very anal about food attractants. In a primitive campsite it takes a lot to properly clean a pot that has cooked a sticky greasy meal. And, even if clean, I would never trust it near my tent/gear. So, with that sort of stuff you need to also pack soap, a scrubber and hang your cookset as well as your food. Your hands will probably smell greasy too.. and your pants if you wipe them there etc... Some people don't wear cooking clothes to bed but in reality where do you put them? That starts to become a lot of stuff to hang and putting them outside the tent in a pannier isn't much of a solution. I don't want a grizzly snuffling three feet from my head with only ripstop nylon between us.

I'm probably more cautious than most but I have spent almost my whole life traveling solo in the back country and have come to realize that avoidance is the only true defense against bears. No stinky food or pots for me.

Thats why I like the oatmeal in a bag so much.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 12-03-16 at 09:30 AM.