View Single Post
Old 12-05-16, 08:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18414 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Otherwise, we used tinned meat. Tinned chicken or tuna. Or sometimes you can get that in foil packages.

Tuna in foil packages is the most useful thing I have learned from this forum regarding meals. I rarely shop at "normal" grocery stores during my everyday life, so foil packed items were simply not on my radar screen until someone mentioned them. They are light and compact, which is nice if you have to tote them long distances. Don't know about where you are, but in the states they are available pre-flavored. During my September tour I made a couple of meals with them. Also made at least one during a tour back in June when one day I had to carry food for dinner the entire distance.

As for perishables, I will not carry raw meat for long distances unless it's cold out. One item I am finding more is packaged chicken sausage that it already cooked. Less concern about spoilage there.

I think this was sweet and sour foil tuna with zucchini, onion, Roma tomatoes and fresh garlic over sautéed in olive oil and served over farfalle. I can whip something like this up in 35 min. or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tuna.jpg (104.5 KB, 82 views)