Old 12-07-16, 06:37 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
One of the first things I learned relating to mechanics is "nothing is foolproof, because fools are too ingenious".

That said, it would be near impossible to damage the hub, but if you really went crazy you could warp the rim enough to make rebuilding harder than with a new rim.

On the bright side, odds favor that the spokes will also be OK, so the greatest risk there is ordering the wrong length.

In the end, besides time, the most likely casualty of an aborted effort would the nipples, plus some time, and maybe some of your hair.

If you're willing to roll the dice a bit to pay for the education, then most definitely go ahead and give it a shot. When finished you can buy a beer, either to celebrate or cry into.
So I found this online, and I might just blatantly rip off his specs and everything =). https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...page_id=400695 That would make if a bit more fool-proof, maybe. I would probably err on the lower tension side by nature, so unlikely to warp the rim. If I got it put together properly and it wasn't perfectly trued up, I wouldn't mind paying the lbs to do that since I don't have the proper gear (will be truing to sound using iphone pitch app).

Is there anything involved that requires a lot of hand or finger strength? I've small hands and a bit of arthritis...