Old 12-07-16, 11:35 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103 View Post
There's a local hill that's about 1/4mi long at 20% grade. My mountain bike has 22-34 gearing, so you'll fall over backwards before you run out of low end.

I've been passed by a woman pushing a stroller up that hill. Granted, she was in far better shape than I. Probably from pushing a stroller up a 20% grade daily...

Ahah! You jogged my memory! So some hiking stories!
We moved to Colorado long ago, I was overweight, started hiking in the mountains, had lots of fun, lost lots of weight.
I hiked up Round Mountain. I huffed and puffed for 4 hours getting up there, finally made it to the top, and there were a bunch of old people that looked like they were right out of the nursing home. (Estes Park is a popular retirement place, and those people don't all sit around in rocking chairs!)
One time...I was hiking up the lower Longs Peak trail, steady uphill but not steep, but about 10,000' elevation. And a fat lady passed me. That didn't bother me, but what DID bother me was that she didn't seem to be breathing hard.
Then...I hiked up Greys and Torreys peaks. A kid and his dad passed me. I think the kid was 11 if I remember right.
So I learned Humility. I learned to do what I can do, and if somebody else can do it twice as good, more power to them. I'm not them, they're not me, and the fact that they might be better than me isn't going to stop me from doing what I can do and trying to have fun doing it.
And that same lesson carries over to cycling.