View Single Post
Old 12-11-16, 12:11 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I routinely cut across a community college commuting or going to/from running errands. A security guard stopped me once and asked what I was up to on the deserted campus after dark. I was fine with answering his questions and made the point that I have "aircraft quality" lighting front and rear and not like I am sneaking around with a crowbar of can of spray paint. Me being "old" probably didn't hurt either.

Now I know all the security people by sight and they just ignore me. Having an attitude would not have achieved my goal - free access to the campus sidewalk network after dark. Everyone was polite, we exchanged information, things made sense to The Badge, and now I can "trespass" all I want to. Guy is just doing his job and like it or not, profiling is part of police work.
I would certainly expect to be questioned if I were to have been trespassing. I've cut through schools at night (can't now as they have secured the fences with no access) and understood that I could have been stopped and would answer any questions about why I was there, etc.