View Single Post
Old 12-20-16, 11:04 AM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Great find. I like that color too. If you wanted to, since it's a solid color and not the candy apple type, you could match this paint on an old 2 point hockey stick chainguard and use a downtube transfer since they're the same on this model. The new vinyl transfers are quite good. I have one on my roadster. I like to use One Shot sign painter's enamel. I buy small cans of primary colors and experiment until I get a good match. You can spray a clear coat or not and use a more coarse compound to leave the finish a bit dull. It's possible to blend in the new chainguard pretty well and who knows, after a few years of use it might look almost original.
Here's a 64 I finished up last summer.
Mighty fine looking bike and the chainguard looks like a match. those rims are pretty nice, too. The only ones of the original rims I ever got looking decent are on a 51. Didn't have to do much to them as they are some sort of different steel alloy and they hold up very well. They are the ones with the raised matte finish centers. I was pretty surprised when I started cleaning up the bike to find the rims in nice condition and stainless spokes, too. I think they stopped using those pattern rims and the stainless spoke in 52 or 53. By 56, they were gone.