Thread: Rollers?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-16, 08:04 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
You need to tell us what you want them for.
That may depend on where you live and what other options you have.

I am a firm believer bike walks/low resistance is better for you than high resistance - most days. And to really get the resistance you need, rollers are not the thing. But if you don't have good riding, training gym, or trainer options and you want one device for everything, sure - get resistance. But also be in a position to turn it off and spin and relax/recover. For that reason going smaller than 3.5" just provides too much grind when you want to chill.
I understand and really appreciate this. Resistance isn't the primary function of rollers. I get it, and I do have access to an amazing gym only .5 miles from my home if I chose to take advantage of it. Atlanta is relatively mild compared to where some of you guys live and it is very hilly here.

Thinking out loud...

It is just bikes right now - no trainer, no rollers - and like everyone else, would like to get something to supplement riding during the winter months. Aerobic fitness, form, cadence, weight, health, cholesterol, etc., the basics. I'm not looking to qualify for the Olympics. Time is something I value as well and so versatility matters to me.

Time is something I value as well and so versatility matters. Is it really that far of a reach to want resistance when we are already talking about products which list for $400 and above? I don't know and that's why I'm posting here, to get feedback from guys like you to help figure it out. It means a lot to me.

Just trying to figure out where the best value is and when I look at the price of trainers I see rollers with resistance as a good value. The responses by @UnfilteredDregs and @Carbonfiberboy were very provocative in that regard and the fact that I ride fixed gear is part of the equation.

Again, really appreciate responses from everyone, especially those who challenge my assumptions.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 12-22-16 at 08:08 PM.