View Single Post
Old 12-30-16, 12:58 AM
look171

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
When I took wood shop in junior high, back when there still were shop classes, The Oliver table saw was a piece of equipment I never liked. In college I got to use a SCM Sliding table machine, with the pre saw to reduce tearout and everything… So cool. My favorite machine, I felt in control. In the other classroom shop I at least got a decent fence, those Delta fences were terrible.

I know Oliver has a big following, maybe the stuff I used needed rebuilding?
This reminds me, I really want a Bridgeport vertical mill.
I know you are somewhere in LA or nearby. Did you grow up in LA? I used to be a Woodshop teacher in LAUSD until they cut all the shop classes. I am a general contractor (also cabinet shop/woodshop owner) now, but it all started in that Jr hi Woodshop class. Oh, I remember those old Oliver machine well. Did you go to college near by? I went through Cal State's Industrial Arts/woodworking program. I have an SCMI sliding table saw with the scoring blade in my shop.

Funny about Woodshop back in highschool. It was the only class I did not looked at a Bikcology catalog or read the three pages of Velonews or dream about going to the Rosebowl or Griffith Park ride.

Jeff