View Single Post
Old 01-01-17, 05:04 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Rizzato, the manufacturer of Atala, typcially stamped their serial number on the drive side of the seat tube, just below the seat lug. It is format is yyfxxxx, where yy are two numerals designatiing the year. I'm not 100% postive on the 3rd (alpha) character but it appears to be a fortnight indicator(i.e. A = weeks 1-2, B = weeks 3-4, etc) and xxxx is the sequential manufacturing number within the fortnight. I'd appreciate your posting the serial number for my database. TIA.

Like bikebig, I'm perplexed by the presence of a Reynolds 531DB tubing decal. Some Italian manufacturers did utilize Reynolds during certain periods and in the early 1970s, the American public had been brainwashed into thinking that Reynolds was superior to Columbus, but this is the first Atala from this era that I can recall with Reynolds. There are two possibilities. First, it was a custom option. Second, that the original Columbus decal was mangled and replaced by a Reynolds decal, which were much easier to obtain back in the day.

If it truly is Reynolds, it should warrant a premium, due to the rarity. The easiest way to tell the difference is via the fork. A fork manufactured with Columbus will have their dove logo stamped on the outside of the steerer tube, which would require the fork to be removed from the frame. Also, the inside of the bottom of the steerer tube will have five, helical ridges (see picture). These ridges are narrow (3.5mm) and very thin (0.35mm), so can be quite hard to see when if the inside of the steerer tube is corroded or dirty. However, all you have to do is remove the front wheel and look up into the bottom of the steerer tube with a good light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Columbus steerer.jpg (48.1 KB, 230 views)