View Single Post
Old 01-04-17, 01:04 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by greg3rd48
Good to see that you are fine Jim! At least it happened at the most opportune place possible.

It's wonderful how much damage you can do to a rear derailleur in a small fraction of a second!

I wrecked the VGT Luxe on my Gran Sport (same color frame as yours) while starting up a long steep hill. I had just shifted from the half-step middle ring--42 teeth--onto the 28-tooth granny.

In analyzing it later, I concluded a loop of slack must have fallen off the tension pulley (as a result of my suddenly throwing a lot of slack into the chain), which then caught on the cage and twisted it into the spokes. I still like the convenience of the old Suntour "quick cage," but I'm more aware of its possible limitations now.

So many ways to fail! I keeps life interesting, I suppose. Glad you weren't hurt and your bike is okay. Nice that it wasn't a frame with an integral derailleur hanger.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash