T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Bianchi serial question for T-Mar -

Have noticed that when serials are placed in headlugs they are sometimes in upper and sometimes in lower. Is there any significance to this, is one placement earlier/later?

Also most of the headlug serial Bianchis seem to be Chiorda builds, as we have here. Yet there are some high quality Bianchi Bianchi models with this arrangement as well.

Is the arrangement used on some of the sub-marques as well, such as Normano?

Thank you for any information.

-----
I have yet to come across a case of a Bianchi serial number stamped on the lower lug, so if there is any significance, I'm not aware of the chronology or rationale.

I've been operating on the premise that this format indicates a Bianchi manufactured product, as it's been seen on mid-range Bianchi models and varies from the 1980s serial numbers only in location and breaking it into two segments. The Chiorda manufactured product, including the entry level Bianchi, typically have a purely numeric format.

I have yet to come across any cases involving non-eponymous Bianchi manufactured product from the era but we know that Bianchi did not alter their format when contract manufacturing brands during the 1980s.