Old 01-09-17, 02:42 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
The things over the past year or so that I've purchased for my bike, are very lacking in selection at bike shops -- these items have included: Garmin 520 and sensors, stem, road handlebars, seatpost, tires, tubes, saddle, bottle cages. Of these items, tires and tubes can be found -- though for some reason, around here the LBSs only seem to stock Conti -- hard to find Michelin. There aren't any display racks for handlebars, stems or seatposts. At least for handlebars (getting a feel for the curves/drops/reach) and seatpost (taking a look at the clamping mechs) -- there would have been value in a hands on appraisal. Saddles -- there's usually 3-4 models to choose from at an LBS, though most LBSs seem to be tied to a single major brand, maybe 2 (eg Spesh + Fizik).

The concern I have with LBSs though, is the potential headache bicyclists in general will face if more and more LBSs go out of business. Not from the standpoint of getting merchandise, but in getting repairs. Reduced supply could potentially lead to much higher labor rates -- derailleur adjustments of $20 instead of $10; chaine installation costs doubling, new cabling for $60 instead of $30. Bike assembly (from that BD bike you got online) going from $75 up to $125 etc.. While on BF I'll likely see some responses of how everyone should learn to do these things ourselves, that's not realistic for the general populace. Interestingly, I noticed a tiny storefront open recently here in NYC that ONLY does bike repair -- mind you there's a large populace of bike messenger/delivery guys around here.