Old 01-15-17, 10:38 AM
BryE
Señor Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mid to late 90s Bertin road frame?

Maybe this isn't "classic" enough for this forum, so please let me know if I'm off-topic here.

I've been riding an early 80s Miyata for many years, and it's about to expire from old age - stripped dropout threads, a concerning ding in the top tube, and worn out 27 inch wheels are just some of its problems. So I've decided it's time for a replacement.

I'm looking at a new old stock Bertin road bike that was probably made in the mid to late 90s. However, I can't find much info about the quality of these frames. Sheldon Brown's site says the 70s Bertins are above average quality, but I think the 90s French bikes saw a race to the bottom in terms of price, and thus probably quality as well. Can anyone say anything about Bertin frames from this era? The frame doesn't have a sticker describing what the tubes are made of. It's TIG welded, not lugged, has a threaded steel fork, and the frame simply says "Fast Road" on the top tube. The bike is intended for fast commuting and some occasional distance riding.

Thanks for your answers!