View Single Post
Old 01-18-17, 10:16 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Schwalbe G-One and Thunder Burt tires are excellent choices.

The Thunder Burt comes in 27.5 x 54 (2.1 inch), so they're more like a fast MTB tire. They're surprisingly fast for a semi-knobby tire; great for almost all purposes.

The G-One comes in 27.5 x 40 mm (1.5 inch), so they're a skinnier, faster tire with a small tread. More gravel and road-centric.
If your 27.5" MTB has generous clearance, Schwalbe makes a 27.5 Plus version of the G-One in 70 mm (2.8 inch) width, which would be a fast and floaty tire on dirt, sand, grass, etc.

With any Schwalbes, get the Evolution line tires; they're much lighter and higher-performance than the budget "Performance" line.
The Thunder Burt offers Liteskin (light weight) or Snakeskin/TL (puncture protection and tubeless-ready) casings.

I buy my Schwalbe tires from bike-discount.de in Germany. You can get 2 tires shipped for about the price of one tire + tax at US retail.

For a slick tread (like the Compass tire that @Barrettscv recommended), but at a lower price, I recommend the Panaracer Pari-Moto. It's a very lightweight tire that rolls extremely fast; almost as fast as the Compass tires. It's available all over the internet in 38 mm and 42 mm widths.

Another slick option is the WTB Horizon, in 47 mm width. But I understand that it's not as lightweight/supple as the Compass or Pari-Moto.