Old 01-18-17, 12:07 PM
Aidoneus

Bikes: 2015 Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
This 33 degrees and raining crap we've been having here in Chicago is literally the worst winter weather possible for a local cyclist. If it were 5 degrees colder and the rain were snow, I'd be out happily fatbiking. But no, it has to stay just above freezing. Also, it's not really raining, it's drizzling just enough to soak everything down and make the trails unridable and the roads gritty. Also, overnight freezes have created sketchy black ice on the roads every morning. In addition to making the roads dangerously slick, the ice causes road crews to continually dump salt on the road coating everything in a corrosive, bike-destroying slurry of salty water/gravel/slush. For two weeks, the weather has been frustratingly stuck in this narrow band of temperatures with just enough precipitation to create havoc. So. Annoying.
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Rain is alright, and cold weather is alright, but not the two at the same time. Freezing rain/ice/sleet/wintry mix and temps hovering around the freezing mark is pretty much the worst conditions one can ride in. Here in Michigan it has been doing this on and off for the last few weeks. I have 2 rides in so far this year totalling less than 40 miles. This time last year I was about 200 miles ahead of that.
Yeah, riding along the south shore of Lake Michigan, my numbers are way down so far this year. Supposed to be dry and upper 50s on Saturday, though!