View Single Post
Old 01-18-17, 12:45 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I had one of the earlier SD Flashlight 1-one tents and it was very compact and light. It handled a few windy nights just fine and being lower-profile is probably good for this. But I felt a little like I was getting into a coffin each night. The lower height of the tent at one end meant that anything you put near the foot of the tent was almost irretrievable, at least for a 60-yo like me. And as I said earlier, I'm not a big fan of tents that require staking down to stand because invariably the place I wanted to put the tent had a rock, tree root, etc. right where I wanted to put a stake (or the ground was so hardpacked I needed a big hammer to be able to drive a stake, totally negating the weight advantage of a lighter tent). And being able to pick up a tent after erection to re-position is awfully handy (e.g., campfire smoke path, noise concerns, other tenters, something on the ground you missed, etc.). Most of my tenting is in good weather and I simply want something that goes up quick and where most nights I don't have to drive a stake or put up a fly. If the weather is awful, I'm heading for a hotel.

Having said all this, tents are a personal choice and one man's poison is another's pleasure. Making lemonade from lemons, I see SD describes the Flashlight as "gloriously non-freestanding".

- Mark

Last edited by markjenn; 01-18-17 at 12:51 PM.