Thread: MTBs & 29ers
View Single Post
Old 01-19-17, 08:20 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6083 Post(s)
Liked 976 Times in 549 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
the reason I was asking is because I have experience with 26" old school mountain bikes & lately 700c hybrids. lately I've been riding unpaved rail trails w the hybrids & having a lot of fun. these trails are flat, mostly level, not technical & I don't get lost. one hybrid w 700x45 tires has been my go to bike for these trails & has been doing great. however, I've seen 29ers on the same trails & started to wonder if I should sell the hybrids & look for a used 29er. & if so, why. a wider tire would be one reason, especially now that a little snow has showed up here & there. but not sure I want to go thru that process of shopping, paying for & setting up another bike right now.

I found a cpl near me but finding a big enough frame is the challenge. lots of 18" 29ers out there but I need more like a 22". these are also expensive & one can get a used 26"er" for short money. I sold the one I had last spring in a fit of stable thinning
if the trails are flat why would you need suspension? And iff you can afford a new bike just for the few days a year the trail is muddy, I envy you ... but wouldn't it be cheaper to get a rigid framed bike with more tire clearance than paying for a fork you don't need?

People have explained it perfectly: 29ers are great on fast, flowing trails, 26 on tighter trails with a lot more acceleration/braking/tricky obstacles.

My take is, a 26 can do anything a 29 can but might take a bit more effort on the small bumps, while the 29er will take more effort on anything tight and technical ... so where do you ride most and which do you prefer?

When I decided to get another MTB I figured I'd rather have a little edge on the tech stuff than the top speed stuff, and I shopped around to find a super deal on a used 26 ... but I really don't believe I would enjoy riding less if I had bought a 29er.