Old 01-20-17, 01:14 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5991 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I agree, and said so way back when in this thread.

from my post (no.4) here ----

.....Also, if Seattle has any hopes of having a share program that works, they'll need to rethink the helmet law. As it stands, that law is probably keeping cyclists safer mainly by keeping them off their bikes.

The later post which you reference was intended to make it clear that there's usually more than one reason why things fail, and to counter the notion that the helmet law was the ONLY reason the program failed, and changing it would have magically saved the program.

I keep saying this so often that I feel like a broken record --- Bikeshare is about convenience more than anything else. If it's seen as the fastest way to get from point A to point B, people will use it. If it isn't faster and easier than the alternatives then they won't.

So success depends on bikeshare being as easy as possible, AND other alternatives being pretty bad.
Maybe other reasons only become relevant without the mandatory helmets. I wonder whether the alternatives have to be really bad, it's still cycling, if the weather is nice it beats a lot of alternatives through it's own strength.